Polymer Clay miniatures as jewelry!http://www.etsy.com/shop/CatrinasToybox

Friday, May 25, 2012

Today's blog is broght to you by laziness and shameless self-promotion.

I didn't have a picture of what i really wanted to show; it's overcast...so here's an apple (...made by me!) 



Yeah, this' what I do on my own.  My polymer clay 'skills' are laughably bad so I like to make complicated bead work!  And since I am keeping with the food-inspired theme I'll only show food-themed bead work.  I got this design from ... a book I can't quite remember, the title's all in Japanese so I'll have to find it out and update this post later.  I changed around the base beads; the original used bicones but I chose round glass and seed beads,  added a leaf and modified the stem so it has added tension pulling on the bottom of the apple to keep the shape.  I then hung it on a sterling bracelet.  Not a complicated piece, really.  Short and easy.

This 'un was a little trickier.  It's a watch with a beaded 'cage' around it to make it resemble a watermelon.  I got this design from another Japanese bead book, but I didn't have any of the sizes of beads, couldn't find a watch the size the recipe used and had a devil of a time making it fit.  I just rounded up a bunch of substitutions and hoped they worked out. 

And it did but there's a flaw to the basic design that I didn't notice when I saw it in the book: when the watch goes dead you can either tear the bead work up or have a necklace made from a non-functioning watch. Meh, it was a fun exercise at any rate. Everything was made in right-angle weave with #2 nylon filament.    I don't get much chance to do bead stuff now days so I really enjoy it when I do get to.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, no. Your skills aren't laughably bad. You don't even know how epically awesome they are! You're one of my first shops that I found and I'll never forget "The Menu". :) Keep em coming! You're part of my inspiration to make my own food! :)

    -The Poly Shop
    thepolyshop.wordpress.com
    "Handmade polymer clay jewelry and miniatures."

    ReplyDelete